Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Northern Argentina

..and also upon my departure from Bolivia, I was accompanied by a dark cloud of rain, nor this time did things move on smoothly. It was early on revealed to me that I did not have been given a permission to drive in Bolivia, nor had my bike been properly registered in the country. Thus, after ~three hours of explanations and waiting in line, I was granted permission to enter the country, with my bike (and a permission to drive in Arg.) and commenced my journey toward Ushuaia!





















From La Quiaca, I noticed I had to choose between two routes to Salta, and per chance, I was well rewarded with a narrow road that snaked through what was nothing-short-of-a-jungle covering a few mountain tops (I took the right turn-off). - I had to ask as I entered what seemed to be a park, to see if I was on the right track, but could relax and enjoy the next 50 km of stunning views and stellar curves that lead me through and over the mountains. Moreover, remember to google and visit some of the famous sights along Ruta9 (I was unfortunately short on time : / )






Salta renders a calm and fairly small town wibe despite its +500,000 population. When I was working in a hostel in Uruguay, Salta was one of the main attractions for people visiting Argentina. I fully enjoyed the slow pace and the almost cozy atmosphere. But I think the real beauty is to be found outside the city. I can´t really recommend anything in particular because I remained in the city, but there is plenty to be read about it. Some friends rented a car to more easily access the natural beauty of the area.

I eventually found accommodation and checked in at a Alquimia Hostel (Vicente López 386) for $US 10 / night with breakfast included and great staff! I happened to run into part of the Korean Crew at the hostel, and we shared some pizza and Argentinian red wine to celebrate the reunion.

The next day, I went to the artesenal market (next to Plaza Gral. Gümes) with an Italian guay I met during breakfast. What had some hours before been the main district of pubs and dance clubs, was occupied with vendors and artesenal craft men, and I found some pretty unique x-mas presents for the folks back home!

My Korean friends had this goal of drinking more than 50 different bottles of wine on their trip through South America, and had yet to experience the Argentinian "Asado" (BBQ). I was invited to join them for dinner at this Asado restaurant in town. Although very fancy with professional service, excellent presentation and some sparkling wine for starters, the Asador (person in-charge of the grill) sort of blew a big hole in what would have been a top-notch review. At least we enjoyed some really good company and wines!

The nightlife in Salta has a good reputation, and although I missed the big Saturday night, we went out for drinks on Sunday instead! We were international mix of some Argentinians, Uruguayans, Yankees, a German, Spaniard, French, English, Cuban, and a Viking Swede. After a few beers and dance in the main district, I followed some friends to see Argentinian folklore music live. I really came to like the music, and had a blast with my new company of friends. Not until the early ours of the next day did I find my way back to the hostel. With perhaps one too many Fernet with Cola (that I had been deprived of for too long), the next day was rough, to say the least.




However, I met an awesome Couch Surfing host, thus moved out of the hostel and spent the next two days hanging out with some amazing Salteanos!!

But, all good things come to an end, and eventually I was forced to leave in order to make it back to Santiago / Chile in time for my flight back to Sweden to see my family again. After doing some calculations, I realized there was no way I could possibly pass by to visit Córdoba this time around, but had to cruise along the famous Ruta40 all the way down to Mendoza instead. Nor was I going to have the time to take advantage of the world renowned wines from this area. - But, something´s gotta give (this time around)! :)


No comments: