Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On the topic of buying a bike in Chile

I was in Buenos Aires looking for a motorbike when I fortunately was advised to go to Chile instead, which I believe all foreigners do in this errand these days. This is mainly due to the strict import/export laws of Argentina and Uruguay, that supposedly protect their ecomonies! : / Anyways, there are a lot of forums on this topic, so make sure to fully up-date and familiarize yourself with the process, paperwork, and what bike that suits your need! I found everything I was looking for, and much more!

My bike
I decided to go for a Japanese bike; therefore Honda since neither Yamaha nor Suzuki have much market in South America. I chose the Tornado 250cc, which seemed like a common bike, and has a really good second-hand price! Also, it is well designed for most terrains, and with an up-right, comfortable driving position that is good for long distances. I added windshield, fist covers, a grill to tie up my luggage, and a bag mounted on the tank. 

Forums
Lachy writes a good and well-researched article on the topic at Horizon Unlimited, which helped me to get a good idea of what to expect before buying a bike.

Papers
I have read many accounts where a "paper of approval" from previous owner have been an issue crossing some borders. Therefore ask for one!!
Also, Lachy´s article speaks of the various documents you need to "legally" drive your bike on the road, also the insurance you need to pass into the neighbouring countries.
Lastly, always make a copy of your driver´s licence, and all important documents, just-in-case! I also have them scanned and stored online.

Gear
To buy gear, there is an entire street designated to these purchases, Lira (close to Diez de Julio), 10 min walking distance from Metro Universidad Católica, down Lira. Remember to always haggle, as all the stores easily settle with a 15% discount (usually given straight up), to be negotiated down to 20-25%. Also, remember that paying with cash should always get you a better discount! Lastly, do walk around to check other stores to get a good idea of the price and other products that are available before buying anything.

Retailer
I bought my bike at a retailer, as I could not find what I was looking for at http://www.mercadolibre.cl/ and did not have the time to wait. I found it hard to negotiate with the sales people, but I think they all give you a 5% on the bike, and they gave me a 10% on accessories. (Ask if they can throw in some cords and nets to tie your luggage on the bike)

Good luck, and be sure to consult people in forums about this topic!