Sunday, September 1, 2013

Chilean dinner, Cueca & the 18th of September


I must admit that I have not found the Chilean culture as striking and evident as perhaps the Uruguayan and Argentinian. Coming to be reminded that my days here in Santiago are numbered, I decided to take decisive action and proposed to my dear Chilean roommates that we prepare a typical Chilean dinner together! Upon this request, my roommates eagerly agreed on empanadas, Chilean style! Of course accompanied by a bottle of a Chilean red! 


The particularities of this Chilean empanada; is firstly its shape, different from the Uruguayan and Argentinian. Moreover, the traditional "Pino" is filled with cooked minced meat and onion, a quarter of an egg, an olive, and a few dried raisins. (Find a link to recipe at the bottom) It was explained to me that, although people eat all sorts of empanadas (which btw are very popular in South America), it is the Pino that is the most traditional to Chile. 

Curiously, this happens to be the traditional food had on the 18th of September, a super popular nation-wide celebration of Chilean culture. "Fiestas Patrias" marks the beginning of the independence process of 1810 and the first independent  governing body of Chile. Although it is inherently a religious celebration, I mostly hear talks of up-to-a-week of festivities including; BBQs, dancing the "Cueca" (national dance), and going to "Fondas" (a temporary local sales of food, drinks and dancing). - If you are in Chile in September, BE SURE to stay for the week of the 18th, if you want to see what Chile is really about!


My room-mates and I enjoyed some cueca music, which apparently only is played on the 18th really, as we were preparing the Chilean empanadas. This dish is surprisingly easy to prepare, and I urge any of you with interest to attempt it! And not too long after, we settled at the table with recently-taken-out-of-the oven, home-made empanadas, a bottle of red wine, and the traditional Cueca music in the background! I found myself thinking, "now this must be very Chilean!"  



No comments: